The Microsoft 365 monthly update includes updates and recently recent features across all of Microsoft 365. Press a button to read about an individual technology or continue reading for more. You can take a look back at previous monthly updates here, plus take a look at our weekly roadmap roundup.
In SharePoint: Site template history panel, page section templates, calendar view item drag and drop, Mover.io to be retired, view & edit video/ file info in Stream, Inspiration Library in Microsoft Viva Insights
SharePoint site template history panel
The site template history panel is new to site settings for site owners to view the history of any site templates applied to their site, along with the ability to review related site script actions. Site owners simply go to the Site information panel and then select View template history.
- Find out more: Apply and customize SharePoint site templates
Section templates for pages and news
Authors of SharePoint Pages and News will now be able to access section templates from the plus menu in a new tab next to the sections tab. Users will be able to choose and add templates at the section level instead of just at the page level. Although users will still have access to blank sections, there are six templates to make section design easier and faster.
Microsoft Lists: Calendar view item drag and drop
Now it’s easy to reorganize list items in a calendar view. Users will be able to reschedule items – changing the date – by dragging and dropping them from one day to another, or by pulling an item from the ‘Unscheduled’ pane that appears on the right, within Calendar view.
- Find out more: Create a calendar view from a list
Mover.io legacy website to be retired
On July 1st, 2022, Microsoft will be retiring the legacy Mover tool’s ability to migrate from Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, and Egnyte. If you are currently in the middle of a Mover migration, you may continue using Mover until you finish your migration. However, you will not be able to create new moves. FastTrack led migrations are not impacted at this time.
The Microsoft Migration Manager now has the ability to move files and folders from third-party storage providers into Microsoft 365. This is Microsoft’s recommended tool for file migrations to OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams.
Find out more: Mover.io retirement timeline
View and edit of video and/or audio file information in Stream
Now it’s even easier to adjust things like title, description, and thumbnails for people who have owner permissions for a video or audio file.
- About will enable users, with edit permissions, to add and edit a title/description on their video or audio file. Viewers will be able to see this information along with non-editable fields like upload date, owner name, filename, and area path.
- Custom thumbnail, located in Video Settings, will allow users with edit permissions to change the default thumbnail by uploading an image or selecting a frame from the video. This custom thumbnail will be used throughout Microsoft 365.
Inspiration Library in Microsoft Viva Insights
The Inspiration library is a new feature available in preview through the Viva Insights app in Teams. It turns insights into action with access to curated content and best practices from top sources like Harvard Business Review and Thrive.
In Teams: Choose your own status for a meeting, Mandatory Comments for Approvals App, Data export within Approvals App, additional language support for suggested replies, Together mode for everyone, brightness/ soft-focus video filters, VDI improvements, Direct Guest Join for Teams Rooms on Android, Horizontal participant gallery, enhancements to app usage report/ activity log
Front line workers
Choose your own status for a meeting
Organizers and participants of Teams meetings can choose a Calendar Show As status feature such as free, busy, or OOF to reflect their status for scheduled meetings. In addition, organizers can select private meeting functionality, which will allow users to hide meeting details from other users when their calendar is shared.
Find out more: Change your status in Teams
Mandatory Comments for Approvals App
Teams admins and approval template creators can enable mandatory comments for when an approver responds to a request. Team admins can go through the Teams Admin Center under Managed Apps and select the corresponding setting.
Find out more: Teams Approvals app availability
Data export within Approvals App
Through the approvals app, you can now export your personal approval data easily into an Excel file within a selected time period.
Find out more: Teams Approvals app availability
Additional language support for Suggested Replies for mobile
Suggested replies are now supported in Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, French, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Italian, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian, Korean, Czech, Danish, Turkish, and Polish. The auto replies are on by default but can be turned off.
Find out more: Use suggested replies to respond to messages without typing
View Together mode for everyone
Together mode creates a virtual shared space in which attendees feel like they are sitting in the same room. Now, meeting organizer and presenters can start Together mode for all of a meeting’s participants. Previously, this view could only be enabled for your own personal view.
To enable this feature, simply check the Select Together Mode for Everyone option after you choose a scene. All meeting participants can then join this immersive experience together. This is currently only available for Teams Desktop users.
Find out more: Select Together Mode for everyone
Adjust brightness and soft-focus video filters
Enhance the video quality when lighting is poor by turning on the Adjust brightness filter. You also can use Soft focus to apply a subtle smoothing effect. Both filters are now available before joining meetings, as well as during meetings. Simply navigate to the device settings to enable these filters. Currently, Soft focus is not available for EDU tenants.
Multi-window support for Teams for VDI for Azure Virtual Desktop, Windows 365 and VMware – Teams multi-window support is available for virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for Azure Windows Desktop, Windows 365 and VMware.
Background Blur for VDI on Azure Virtual Desktop and Windows 365 – Background blur effects are now available for VDI on Azure Virtual Desktop and Windows 365. Users on Teams for VDI on Azure Virtual Desktop and Windows 365 can make meetings more personalized and avoid unexpected distractions by applying background effects.
Give and Take Control for Teams on VDI for Citrix – Give and Take Control allows a meeting participant to control the presenter’s shared content during screensharing.
Dynamic Emergency Calling for work from home on VDI for VMware – Dynamic Emergency Calling is now enabled for Teams on VDI for VMWare, allowing users to make emergency calls (E911) while working from home. It also lets users to validate (and if necessary, edit) the address that will be communicated to emergency responders. Learn more how to configure dynamic emergency calling.
Direct Guest Join for Microsoft Teams Rooms on Android
Zoom meetings can now be joined directly through Microsoft Teams Rooms on Android devices. To use this feature, simply schedule a new meeting on Zoom or forward an existing meeting to your Microsoft Teams Room, and it will appear on the calendar. Click on “Join” from your Teams Rooms device to enter the meeting.
At this time, support is limited to controls such as camera and microphone, but additional functionality will be integrated in the future. Supported devices are currently the Poly Studio X30 and Poly Studio X50, with support for additional device manufacturers coming soon.
This feature is available as part of the May 2022 update (App version – 1449/18.104.22.1682051102).
Find out more: What’s new in Teams devices
Horizontal participant gallery
To increase the flexibility of the meeting stage, the orientation of participant video feeds can be displayed horizontally and located below the meeting stage when content is shared, or participants are spotlighted. You can change the location of the participant gallery through the layout chooser experience on the Teams Rooms console.
This feature is available as part of the May 2022 update (App version – 1449/22.214.171.1242051102).
Find out more: What’s new in Teams devices
These features are currently launched, or rolling out to Microsoft Teams for Education customers:
Reading Coach – Reading Coach builds on Reading Progress by identifying the five most challenging words for each individual student and presenting those words with tools to support the learner in practicing independently.
Setting Language or Locale for a Reading Progress passage – Microsoft have now added an Edit Language feature to make changing a language or locale from, for example, French (France) to French (Canada), as easy as a couple of clicks.
Fifteen new auto-detect languages – Microsoft have announced that we have added support for fifteen new auto-detect languages in Reading Progress, bringing our total to 116. To see the full list of supported languages, please visit this site.
Assignments and Grades support for up to 1000 students – The Assignments and Grades features, Teams has now added support for classes up to 1,000 students and has updated the functionality to allow educators to return all submissions to their students, without needing to wait for the work to be complete.
Rubrics updated for Educators & Students on mobile devices – With this new upgrade, you can now create and edit rubrics directly from your mobile devices, and students can more easily read rubrics on their mobile devices, as well.
Apps Support in Grading Pane – Microsoft have now updated the Grading pane in Assignments to also support apps. This allows the educator to launch the app directly from the Grading pane if there is work the student has done within that particular app. Whenever there is an app added to an assignment, it will now be shown in the Grading pane.
Improved Educator Dashboard navigation – To create an easier entry point for drilling into this student data and reports, Microsoft have created a more intuitive navigation bar to the Insights tab app. To learn more, please check out this video.
Moodle LMS integration with M365 – In addition to integration with Canvas and Blackboard, Microsoft has now partnered with Moodle to deliver more seamless integrated learning experiences. Microsoft Teams Classes LTI and Teams Meeting LTI apps are now available within Moodle.
Find out more: What’s New in Microsoft Teams for Education | June 2022
These features currently available to Microsoft’s commercial customers in multi-tenant cloud environments are now rolling out to our customers in US Government Community Cloud (GCC), US Government Community Cloud High (GCC-High), and/or United States Department of Defence (DoD):
Together Mode in Teams Meetings on Web – Web users are now able to change the Teams meeting layout to Together mode by clicking the more options ellipsis […] in their meeting control bar. With Together mode, participants are digitally placed in a shared background, making it feel like you’re sitting in the same room even when you are apart. Available in DOD.
Anonymous meeting join across clouds – Join meetings in other clouds anonymously from your Teams desktop app. Previously, if you wanted to join a meeting hosted in a cloud different from your tenant’s, you were directed to use the Teams web experience. Now, DOD users will be able to join meetings in Commercial, GCC, and GCC-High clouds from your desktop, enabling an improved meeting experience. This feature leverages your existing Allow anonymous users to join meetings settings. If you already have these settings configured, no additional changes are required. Available in DOD. Learn more.
Presenter mode: Controls to move and resize presenter video – There is a new enhancement to the Presenter mode feature. Now, a presenter can choose whether to show up on the left or right side of the content and resize their video feed while automatically adjusting content size accordingly. This can be applied to all modes on Desktop or Window sharing, including standout, side-by-side, and reporter. Available in GCC and GCC-High.
Mirror my video – You no longer have to see the text in your video flipped. Imagine a primary school teacher with a small whiteboard in hand, or you have a virtual background with text in it. While the meeting audience sees the text correctly, you see the text flipped. By providing you with the option to un-mirror, you will be able to see the text correctly. Go to your Device Settings and toggle off “Mirror my video.” Available in GCC-High and DOD.
Music Mode – High-fidelity music mode enables Microsoft Teams users to experience richer sound experiences when sharing non-speech content such as live music, songs through other applications, or medical signals during a virtual appointment with a physician. High-fidelity music mode enables significantly improved audio quality in Teams calls and meetings. The optimized experience in Teams applies to signals captured by microphones, as well as audio played while sharing an application or desktop. Available in GCC-High. Learn more.
Support of Live Caption for Teams on VDI for Azure Virtual Desktop and Citrix – Live captions are now generally available in Teams on virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for Azure Virtual Desktop and Citrix. Teams on VDI for Azure Virtual Desktop and Citrix (pre-requisite required) can detect what’s being said and who is saying it with real-time captions. See use live captions in a Teams meeting on how to get started. Available in GCC and GCC-High.
New default settings when opening Office files For Government clouds – Users can set their default preference as Browser, Desktop, or Teams when opening Office (Word, Excel, and Power Point) files that are shared in Teams. Desktop setting can be selected if the latest Office clients are installed and activated. The process of updating default settings is fairly simple. Learn how to set it up here.
In Power Apps: Express Design, Power Pages, RTE for portals, Power Platform command line updates, modern app designer GA, Access migration GA, new data sources for the virtual connection provider
The Power Apps team have announced the preview of express design in Power Apps: the ability to instantly generate low-code apps directly from design files and images. Power Apps express design is like an AI-powered co-pilot helping create apps alongside you. Here’s how it works:
- Get going with a variety of content types: Start with a paper form, PowerPoint, PDF, a screenshot of a UI from a legacy app, or even a picture of a hand-drawn app that you’ve sketched out on paper. Or point to a design file in Figma.
- Advanced AI will scan your file: Using cognitive AI models that are trained to recognize common application elements, Power Apps will automatically generate an app with a working user experience and data schema in Microsoft Dataverse.
- Tune the model to get exactly what you need: From the AI-generated starting point, make quick inline adjustments. Need a dropdown control, or maybe a date picker? No problem.
- Seamlessly connect to all of your data: Easily adapt and configure the application using low code. Use more than 675 prebuilt connectors to integrate with your existing systems including SAP, Salesforce, and SQL.
- Add as many screens as you like: If you want to add more screens to the app, simply upload additional files, or create them easily in the low-code Power Apps Studio.
Power Pages (Preview)
The Power Apps team have announced the preview of Microsoft Power Pages, the fifth product in the Microsoft Power Platform family. Power Pages empowers anyone, regardless of their technical background, with an effective platform to create data-powered, modern, and secure websites.
In addition to being low-code, Power Pages extends far beyond portals former capabilities to enable organizations of any size to securely build websites with exciting new aesthetic features such as a versatile Template Hub, Design Studio, and other advanced capabilities for customization with pro-dev extensibility.
Find out more: Announcing the preview of Microsoft Power Pages
Rich text editor for Power Apps Portals
Rich text editor (RTE) can now be used with Power Apps portals starting with version 9.4.3.x. This feature provides the following capabilities:
- Use the control with your text fields and allow your portal users to author and view rich formatted content.
- The rich text editing capabilities are powered by the same code component that is available for Power Apps.
Find out more: Announcing rich text editor for Power Apps portals
Power Platform command line updates (April refresh) v1.15.x
Here are the new and updated features as part of the April refresh of Power Platform command line:
- Solution command updates – In this release pac solution unpack and pack will also unpack Canvas apps using the parameter –processCanvasApps.
- Packaging updates – The packaging construct within Power Platform allows a user to bundle multiple solutions into a package and can be deployed all together as one unit.
- Administration improvements – For the administration commands, you can now create, update, and delete Microsoft Teams environments.
Power Apps modern app designer general availability
The Power Apps team have nnounced the general availability of the modern app designer, enabling a seamless, intuitive way to build robust model-driven apps with Dataverse grids, forms, and custom pages with just a few clicks. The modern app designer is now the default designer for model-driven apps and is at full feature parity with the classic designer.
Access Migration to Power Apps and Dataverse general availability
Microsoft Access users can migrate their data into Power Apps and Dataverse. Customers who have the current or monthly channel for Microsoft 365 and Office can update their Microsoft Access to build 16.0.15128.20248 or later to make use of the Dataverse Connector and migration tool.
The Access migration tool and connector provided within MS Access streamlines the process of migrating tables, relationships, and data with setup taking just a few minutes, and migration handled for you.
New data sources for the Virtual Connection Provider
The Power Apps team have announced they are adding Excel and SharePoint to the virtual connection providers for virtual tables. Virtual tables connect to existing data outside of Dataverse allowing Power Apps and the Power Platform to treat it like local data. If you have a list that stores all of your product data in SharePoint, a virtual table lets you access that data within an app and also provide relationships between Dataverse tables and the SharePoint lists.
In Power Automate: New capabilities for AI Builder, Power Automate pane, process advisor updates, restore deleted flow, doubled chatbot coverage, 14 new verified. 36 independent publisher connectors, desktop update May 2022, bulk resubmit & cancel for cloud flows
New capabilities for AI Builder
Announced during Microsoft Build 2022, the following new and upcoming capabilities are coming to AI Builder:
- Unstructured document processing: Microsoft are expanding Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) capabilities for Power Automate by adding support for unstructured document processing.
- Model performance metrics for structured documents: A re-designed and re-structured document model page to include a global accuracy score.
- General availability of Image Classification: Now generally available, Lobe is a free, easy-to-use app from Microsoft that helps you build image classification models on your own computer.
- To improve transparency of AI Builder credits and facilitate capacity management, the Power Platform Licensing guide has been updated to include individual credit consumption rates for each AI Builder scenario.
- AI Builder learning and training materials have been updated in the AI Builder in a day Lab. New training courses come complete with sample code and data sets to get you started building your first AI models easily.
- Text Recognition: Support for up to 164 languages. The pre-trained model allows you to extract printed or handwritten text from images, such as photos or street signs and products, as well as from documents.
- AI Builder is now available in South Korea
Find out more: Exciting new capabilities for AI Builder
Power Automate pane in Power Apps
The new Power Automate pane in the Power Apps Canvas Studio is now available. Without leaving your app, you can now create, edit, view, or add an already built flow from the Power Automate pane.
Find out more: Introducing the new Power Automate pane in Power Apps
Process advisor updates
Take a look at the following new and upcoming capabilities are coming to process advisor:
- Seamlessly generate Cloud flow Insights: With a few easy clicks, you can visualize your flow’s performance, identify bottlenecks and optimization opportunities, and monitor for business drifts.
- Easily onboard data with Templates: With templates like Azure Dev Ops, Power Apps and Desktop Flows you can now visualize and manage the processes that are central to running your organization in a matter of clicks.
- Visualize your process and act with deeper insights: With the new time analysis report you can drill down into time bottlenecks to understand the root cause and take the best action to optimize and automate your process.
- Collaborate to amplify impact from learnings: For data processes, the viewer role grants the invited user read access to the process analytics and the ability to invite others with the viewer role. Recording-based processes have roles focused on managing recordings.
- Get to Insights faster with Auto generated grouping: Process advisor now supports auto creating activities from the recording.
Restore deleted flow
The Power Automate team have announced the capability to restore a flow (outside of a solution) with the latest version of the PowerApps Administration cmdlet. As an admin, you can now use PowerShell to restore a flow you deleted or on behalf of someone in your company without having to file a support ticket with Microsoft.
Restore-AdminFlow -EnvironmentName Default-55abc7e5-2812-4d73-9d2f-8d9017f8c877 -FlowName 4d1f7648-ad60-4871-91cb-b77d7ef3c239 //To view examples: Get-Help Restore-AdminFlow -Examples
Find out more: Restore deleted flows with PowerShell
Doubled Power Virtual Agent chatbot content coverage
The Power Virtual Agents chatbot in the left navigation of the web site can answer even more of your questions! With this update, if the chatbot cannot find the answers to the questions you asked, it now provides a dropdown with all the topics and scenarios in Power Automate for you to get help from.
Find out more: Doubled Power Virtual Agent chatbot content coverage
14 new verified and 36 new independent publisher connectors released in April 2022
In April 2022 there were 14 new verified connectors and a record breaking 36 new Independent Publisher connectors were published in April:
- App Power Forms – he easiest way to include external stakeholders in your business processes.
- Autodesk Forge Data Exchange – connect design and make data between Revit and the tools of your choice.
- BuildingMinds DigitalTwin Core – empowers customers to build a resilient and data-driven future for their real estate businesses.
- CyberProof Actions – next generation incident management and response platform for building Security Operations Centers (SOCs).
- IA-Connect JML – easy and robust automation solution for your Joiner, Mover, Leaver processes.
- Jedox OData Hub – the world’s most adaptable planning and performance management solution.
- Knowledgeone RecFind6 – RF6Connector, was designed specifically to integrate RecFind 6’s powerful EDRM functionality with SharePoint On-premises and Online
- Lansweeper App For Sentinel – Integration of Lansweeper app on the MS Sentinel Platform implements the investigative actions.
- nunify – nunify is a DIY Event Tech & Event App Builder Platform.
- Replicon – self-driving professional services automation solution that uses advanced technology to analyze real-time data,
- Revelation helpdesk – create and update items in your helpdesk such as tickets.
- TrueDialog SMS – integrate text messaging (sending & receiving) into your business processes in a couple of clicks.
- Verified – Automated and integrated solutions for e-signing enables smoother sales processes.
- YakChat – Add SMS to your automated flows with the YakChat Power Automate Connector.
- Datamotion – bridges Power Automate’s capabilities with our secure message delivery API functionality.
- SurveyMonkey – automate critical workflows for a wide range of use cases and flow feedback data into key business apps.
- Timeghost – includes the option for users to set up time tags and project tags.
Independent publisher connectors
- Advanced Scraper by Troy Taylor – An advanced web scraper API with rotating IPs from 170+ countries.
- Ambee by Troy Taylor – fuses the power of thousands of on-ground sensor data and hundreds of remote imagery from satellites.
- AMEE Open Business by Paul Culmsee & Mahbub Murshed – Access business data on over 20 million companies including financial risk, carbon emissions, carbon efficiency ratings.
- Binance.us by Roy Paar – for connecting to the Binance.us API to query crypto market rates and trades.
- Clockify by Dr Adrian Colquhoun & Nirmal – popular, easy to use, free time tracking software solution.
- Corporate Buzzword Generator by Troy Taylor – This generator randomly picks out phrases, which can help your application get ahead in an industry where spin and vagueness reign supreme
- CraftMyPDF by Troy Taylor – CraftMyPDF’s drag & drop editor lets you design PDF templates in any browser and generate pixel-perfect PDF documents from reusable templates and JSON data.
- Decentraland by Roy Paar – for connecting to the Decentraland API to search for metaverse LAND parcels.
- DigitalHumani by Troy Taylor – A RaaS (Reforestation as a Service) which easily integrates with your products to reforest the planet.
- Do Not Call Reported Calls by Troy Taylor – provides data every weekday about Do Not Call and robocall complaints reported to the Federal Trade Commission.
- DPIRD Radar by Paul Culmsee & Mahbub Murshed – Allows you to integrate the DPIRD RADAR estimated rainfall data within your applications.
- DPIRD Science by Paul Culmsee & Mahbub Murshed – provides the back-end to the Rainfall to Date, Potential Yield, and Soil Water tools.
- DPIRD Weather by Paul Culmsee & Mahbub Murshed – Comprehensive data from over 185 weather stations throughout Western Australia.
- Finnish BIS by Timo Pertilä – Get data from the Finnish Business Information System (BIS) maintained by the PRH and the Finnish Tax Administration.
- Finnish Railway Traffic by Timo Pertilä – Get data of trains operating in Finland. The service is operated by Fintraffic.
- GeoDB by Troy Taylor – The GeoDB API focuses on getting global city and region data.
- GitLab by Roy Paar – A connector for GitLab DevOps platform.
- GlobalGiving Project by Troy Taylor – GlobalGiving connects nonprofits, donors, and companies in nearly every country in the world.
- Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) by Troy Taylor – Ice And Fire is the world’s greatest source for quantified and structured data from the universe of Ice and Fire (and the HBO series Game of Thrones).
- Michael Scott Quotes by Troy Taylor – A simple REST API that returns a random Michael Scott quote.
- Mintlify by Troy Taylor – Hate writing code documentation? Save time and improve your codebase by letting Mintlify generate documentation for you.
- Mondaycom by Woong – monday.com is a cloud service provider to manage schedules and inventories.
- National Park Service by Troy Taylor – designed to provide authoritative NPS data and content for internal and external developers creating apps, maps, and websites.
- Nederlandse Spoorwegen by Miguel Verweij – Retrieve information from the main Dutch railway operator.
- Nifty Gateway by Roy Paar – for connecting to the Nifty Gateway API to search for NFTs.
- Pexels by That API Guy – Pexels is a free stock photo and video website.
- Rarible by Roy Paar – Rarible Multichain Protocol is a blockchain-agnostic and decentralized tool to query, issue, and trade NFTs.
- Rebrandly by That API Guy – Rebrandly is a custom URL shortener.
- Robohash by Troy Taylor – Robohash is a easy web service that makes it easy to provide unique, robot/alien/monster/whatever images for any text.
- Ron Swanson Quotes by Troy Taylor – Quotes for every occasion. Because Ron Swanson is a hero.
- Studio Ghibli by Troy Taylor – The Studio Ghibli API catalogs the people, places, and things found in the worlds of Ghibli.
- Telegram Bot by Woong – HTTP-based interface created for developers keen on building bots for Telegram.
- The Lord of the Rings by Troy Taylor – it serves your needs regarding data about The Lord of the Rings.
- U.K. Government Check VAT by Andras Fordos – perform unverified and verified checks of UK VAT numbers and view additional details of the VAT registration such as name and address of business.
- URLBae by Troy Taylor – seamlessly track your audience with simple and easy-to-remember yet powerful links.
- Xkcd by Troy Taylor – webcomic created in 2005 by American author Randall Munroe.
Power Automate for desktop update – May 2022
The May 2022 update of Power Automate for desktop (version 2.20) has been released. Take a look at some of the new features and updates below:
- All types of clicks are now supported in browser automation
- A timeout value is now available for all browser automation actions
- Tabular data extracted from a PDF file can now maintain their structure
- Enhanced experience in the console for users with limited permissions
- GA of ‘Display custom form’ action
Find out more: Power Automate for desktop – May 2022 update
Bulk resubmit and cancel for cloud flows
Now you can go to the Run history page, select the runs you would like to resubmit or cancel in the ribbon, and resubmit or cancel the runs. That’s it! Once you have resubmitted or canceled the flow run, you will be able to see your canceled and successful resubmitted flow runs.
Find out more: Introducing bulk resubmit and cancel for cloud flows
In Power BI: On-prem data gateway, Power BI May 2022 feature summary, Report Server May 2022, ExecuteQueries REST API, automatic aggregations, Composite models on SQL Server Analysis Services, datamart, SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services CTP 2.0, Power BI integration for PowerPoint, Goals becomes Metrics, Exportable Formatted Data Tables (Preview), Action bar for interactive reports, SandDance Power BI Custom Visual updates, New Power BI Known Issue page, New data source and gateway management experience
On-premises data gateway May 2022 update
The Power BI team have announced the release of the May 2022 update for the On-premises data gateway (version 3000.126.8).
Find out more: On-premises data gateway May 2022 update is now available
Power BI Desktop feature summary – May 2022
Updates include the general availability of Canvas zoom and Data point rectangle select features, Field parameters and Error bars for columns and line combination charts new preview features, plus lots more.
Find out more: Power BI May 2022 Feature Summary
Power BI Report Server feature summary – May 2022
This May 2022 update brings a new version of Power BI Report Servery with a host of new & improved features, including:
- Dynamic format strings now supported for all chart elements
- Multi row card selection
- Bookmark navigator now shows the last selected bookmark per group
- Canvas Zoom
- Data point rectangle select
- Mandatory label policy
- Updated slicer defaults for accessibility improvements
Find out more: Power BI Report Server May 2022 Feature Summary
ExecuteQueries REST API general availability
The ExecuteQueries REST API is now generally available. By using this REST API, you can query datasets in Power BI from practically any modern environment on any platform, as long as you can authenticate with Azure Active Directory (AAD) and construct a Web request.
Automatic aggregations general availability
Automatic aggregations is now generally available. By using automatic aggregations in Power BI Premium, you can unlock cloud-scale data volumes for interactive analysis. The fundamental idea is to import data into the dataset only at the aggregated level while leaving the detail data at the source to minimize data duplication.
Find out more: Announcing general availability of automatic aggregations
Composite models on SQL Server Analysis Services
You can now create composite Power BI models by connecting to SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services tabular models. SQL Server 2022 is available now for public preview and when you upgrade or deploy tabular models to SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services. This DirectQuery connection becomes available in Power BI Desktop starting with May 2022 release. Existing or new tabular models hosted on SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services can be joined with other data in Power BI Desktop to create a composite model.
Find out more: Composite models on SQL Server Analysis Services
Datamart in Power BI (Public Preview)
Datamart in Power BI is a new self-service capability included with Power BI Premium that enables users to uncover actionable insights through their own data without any help from IT teams. For the first time, we are empowering everyone with the right-sized ability to build a relational database for analytics using no code experiences for workloads up to 100GB, without compromising enterprise security and governance demands.
Find out more: Announcing public preview of datamart in Power BI
What’s new in SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services CTP 2.0
The public CTP 2.0 of SQL Server 2022 is now available at aka.ms/getsqlserver2022. This public preview includes the following enhancements for Analysis Services tabular:
- Power BI support for SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services tabular models as a DirectQuery connection for composite models
- Improved MDX query performance
- Improved resource governance
- Query interleaving now includes short query bias with fast cancellation
Find out more: What’s new in SQL Server 2022 Analysis Services CTP 2.0
Power BI integration for PowerPoint
The Power BI team have announced the preview of Power BI data storytelling in PowerPoint. The team are thrilled to be shipping an add-in that lets you add Power BI reports and bookmarks to your slides and enjoy the delightful interactive experience of Power BI inside your presentations.
Goals in Power BI is becoming ‘metrics’ and is moving to general availability
Now generally available, metrics in Power BI (feature formerly known as ‘goals’) along with a ton of new features to make scorecarding in Power BI even more effective.
Find out more: Goals in Power BI is becoming ‘metrics’ and is moving to GA!
Exportable formatted data tables (Preview)
The Power BI team have announced the public preview of a low-code web authoring experience for exportable formatted data tables. You can use the formatted table feature to create paginated reports in any modern workspace, including workspaces that aren’t in a Power BI Premium capacity.
Find out more: Exportable Formatted Data Tables (Preview)
Action bar for interactive reports in the Power BI tab for Microsoft Teams
The Power BI tab in Microsoft Teams is getting a new action bar for interactive reports. The action bar enables users to use all the capabilities they have for interactive reports in the service when they’re added to channels, chats, or meetings as tabs in Microsoft Teams.
SandDance Power BI Custom Visual updates
SandDance is a data visualization tool developed by the VIDA (Visualization and Interactive Data Analysis) team at Microsoft Research and is available as a custom visual for Power BI. The VIDA team has made significant updates to the SandDance 2019 custom visual. The team have enhanced the ability to deliver richer and more compelling data-driven stories, both by adding support for Power BI bookmarks and making significant improvements to the rendering capabilities.
Find out more: SandDance Power BI Custom Visual updates
New Power BI Known Issue page
Microsoft have recently launched a new Power BI Known Issues page. This is an example of our continued effort to increase users’ confidence in our transparency, awareness of issues, and dedication to improve customers’ success.
Find out more: Power BI Known Issues page
New data source and gateway management experience
The Power BI team have announced a new data source and gateway management experience in Power BI! The team recently replaced the “manage gateway” experience with a new interface, making it easier to manage your gateways and data sources. With this new experience, you also get the ability to manage and create the Vnet gateway and use the recently released additional security roles.
Find out more: New data source and gateway management experience