This post describes how to show or hide fields based on a choice column from a SharePoint list in Power Apps.
I was recently working on a Power App form for new site/ teams requests. The fields were all based on SharePoint list columns and one of the key fields was a choice column. What I wanted to do was have an additional field default to being hidden from the screen unless a particular choice value was selected.
Now I’ve used the Microsoft guidance to create dependant drop-downs before but this scenario was slightly different and it was based on a choice column which isn’t compatible to my knowledge. I’d done something before in my Power App to toggle the display mode of a button in my app if fields are blank. So starting with this I used a simple if function in my formula to show/ hide my field based on the selected choice value.
Here’s how to hide a field based on a choice value in Power Apps:
- Open your Power App to edit it > ensure both the choice field and the field you want to hide are added to the screen
- Select the data card for the field you want to hide until a choice value is selected
- In the top, left-hand corner of the Power Apps editor, select the visible property
- Add the following if statement to the formula bar, replacing the parts highlighted below:
- Replace rdoRequestType with the name of your choice control
- Replace “Project site” with the selected value from your choice field
Now, by default your field will be hidden from the screen until you select the relevant choice value!